(The following information applies to Microsoft Windows (2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7) based computers)
How to run Newtin Applications on
- Go to Blue Stakes Newtin website http://newtin.bluestakes.org and log in with the Account name and Password provided by Blue Stakes during your signup process.
- Click on the appropriate link under the Downloads section for the application(s) that you would like to be able to run (ex. Ticket Search Application, Ticket Entry & Search Applications, or Search and Maintenance Applications).*
- Accept any security warnings and choose to Run the selected download application.
- Follow the steps through the Setup Wizard to install the program(s) and shortcut(s) that you would like to use.
- Run the newly installed/downloaded Newtin application by double-clicking on the program file in the "C:\Bluestakes" folder (or the desktop shortcut) and entering your Blue Stakes Account and Password and clicking "OK".
*Alternatively, you can manually download and configure any of the Newtin applications individually by replacing steps 2 through 4 above with those below.
- Right click on the program link for the application you would like to access and select "Save Target As" and save to the folder "C:\Bluestakes" on the local hard disk. If the folder does not exist, create it first and then save the program there. Do NOT save it to the Desktop, Program Files, Windows folders or network storage. Also, make sure that the file name ends in ".exe".
- With Windows Explorer locate the program that was just saved and double-click on it to run it. The very first time you run the program it will ask you for the path to the application server. Enter (without the quotes) "http://newtin.bluestakes.org/newtinweb" and click "OK". Then it will ask for the application server port. The use the default port of "80" and click "OK".
If the program does not run, verify the following:
- The saved program is located in "C:\Bluestakes". Due to security restrictions in Windows, running the program from other locations may not work. Also be sure that you have Read, Write, and Modify privileges for this folder.
- The saved file ends with ".exe". Again, for security reasons, Windows may strip the ".exe" from the name when doing "Save Target As" and you will need to add the ".exe" back in.
- The information you entered for the application server path and port are correct. These will be located in the folder where you saved the program in a file that ends with ".ini". This is a text file that you can view/edit by double-clicking on it. Or you can just delete this".ini" file, then start the program again and re-enter the information as per step 2 in the "Alternative" section above.
- The time zone and date/time are set correctly. If the time zone or date/time is incorrect you may not be able to run the software. Also, be sure that your date/time format is set to the Windows default of "MM/dd/yy" and "h:mm:ss tt".
- The connection to the internet is not blocked. Some users are located behind firewalls that limit connectivity to the internet. The firewall can do this by blocking connections to certain locations/ports or by filtering data content. In either case you may need to change firewall/security settings on the local computer or at the local network firewall to allow the program to communicate.
- The account and password are correct. Account names are not case sensitive but Passwords are case sensitive.
- Newtin software will run on Microsoft Windows machines that have version 1.1 or later of .Net Framework installed. If you have Windows 7 or Vista then you are all set. If you have Windows 2000/XP and have been doing Windows Updates then you should be all set. It is very rare today for a Windows computer to not have at least version 1.1 of .Net installed. If you do not have .Net installed please visit http://www.microsoft.com/net/ for more information on how to obtain it.
Copyright (c) 2009, Norfield Data Products, Inc & Cosmic Computers, Inc.